Wellness Wednesday- 5 Simple Ways to Make your Holiday Season Brighter
There are many things to be grateful for this holiday season, but let's face it - this time can be a stressful one. Sometimes we get caught up in the commercial pressure of this holiday, or we overload ourselves with obligations like holiday parties and cookie swaps. It's also really easy to blow off our own self-care; eating nutritiously or showing up to our workouts because there's so much on our plates (pun intended). For our last Wellness Wednesday before the holiday season comes to a close, I want to share with you 5 simple ways to make this season a little brighter.
1. GO TO YOGA - I know this time can be physically and mentally exhausting, and you probably feel like you don't have time for anything else - but don't skip class now! Sure, we all get out of routine sometimes especially when we see our schedule filling up with holiday activities... but get to your mat. Use class to RECHARGE yourself, set your intention for what YOU want out of this holiday season and even the New Year. Maybe that's to eat healthier, maybe it's to spend more time with family, maybe it's to volunteer (more on that below). Whatever that may be, don't miss the opportunity to get just what you need from your practice. If you're traveling, bring your mat or try to find a class wherever you are - plan ahead!
2. PLAN AHEAD - Speaking of planning ahead... Nothing is worse than spending Christmas Eve wrapping a ton of presents or at the mall running around trying to get everyone that special thing they want from their list. Having a plan may seem obvious, but so many of us forget this simple task causing much more stress on ourselves than is necessary. Make a schedule for all of the Holiday extras and don't forget to set aside time to relax.
3. EAT WELL - Make sure you are keeping up with a healthy diet. This not only helps keep your immune system in check to avoid catching those flu season bugs floating around but you'll have more energy, and won't feel as guilty indulging at the company holiday party. One way that works for me is to start my day with a green smoothie or juice. Packed with essential vitamins and nutrients, I'm at least feeding my body the good stuff before I indulge in any holiday treats. I wrote a Superfood Smoothie post a couple months back which talks about the power of superfoods along with some yummy recipes which can be found here.
4. PAMPER YOURSELF - During this time, we are so consumed with making others happy - a very important thing of course, but we often forget about ourselves. Do something that makes you feel good whether that's a pedicure or at home scrub treatment in the bath. I recently went to local nail studio Coastal Pedicure and have to say this is one of the best gifts I could have gotten myself all year. Another great alternative is this delicious DIY sugar scrub from our holiday gift post last week - check out Alex's recipe here. I'm using this a couple times a week now and my skin is loving it. Whether it's a spa treatment, reading a book, or even watching your favorite holiday movie - do something that you find relaxing and uplifting.
5. DONATE/VOLUNTEER - For many of us, this is a happy time to spend with the people we love the most, we're receiving gifts, and eating plenty of delicious foods. It's important to remember that the holidays aren't the same for everyone. My absolute favorite way to make this season brighter is to spread some holiday cheer to someone who may need it more than I do. Something as simple as dropping off an unwrapped toy to a Toys-For-Tots location could mean the world to a child, or baking some cookies and paying a visit to a senior living home for those that may not get to be with their families. Maybe it's sending a holiday card to our troops, or visiting a children's hospital to read a holiday story one afternoon. I recommend visiting the website to our local chapter of United Way for volunteer opportunities. There are many ways to get involved locally, we also have a giving tree at the studio and are hosting a wrapping party tomorrow for anyone that would like to give of their time.
I hope you find one of these ideas helpful this season! As we're wrapping up the year, I wanted to say thanks for sharing all of your love and light in this community. I'm so happy to spend my time on the mat next to you. Wishing the happiest of holidays to you and yours.
Love, Light & Gratitude,